PEG 2019 Field Trip Schedule
Post-meeting field trips to selected pegmatites of the Southern California Pegmatite Province
Day 1 - 6/15/2019 (Saturday) – Pegmatites of the Banner and Jacumba groups.
8:00 morning departure to Granite Mountain area from Pala Casino Spa & Resort.
- Granite Mountain-Blair Valley granite-pegmatite system - Visit to the Granite Mountain pluton and associated pegmatites. Layered aplopegmatites will be available for inspection during this stop.
- Jacumba pegmatite group – Visit to outcrops featuring the La Posta pluton and associated pegmatites. Pegmatites in the Jacumba area include LCT-type dikes that contain beryl, spodumene (kunzite) and minor lithiophilite with secondary phosphates.
Afternoon return to Pala Casino Spa & Resort
Day 2 - 6/16/2019 (Sunday) – Pegmatites of the Chihuahua Valley and Mesa Grande groups
8:00 morning departure to Chihuahua Valley area from Pala Casino Spa & Resort.
- Chihuahua Valley pegmatite group - Visits to the Cryo-Genie and Carmelita pegmatites. Both are LCT-type dikes with local lithium enrichment in the form of amblygonite, lepidolite or elbaite. Outcrops of the presumed parental Indian Flats pluton will be also be visited.
- Mesa Grande pegmatite group – Visit to the famous Himalaya dike system best known for gem-quality elbaite and lepidolite. Zeolite minerals (stilbite and laumontite) are locally common. This pegmatite is an example of a lepidolite subtype pegmatite of Černý & Ercit (2005).
Afternoon return to Pala Casino Spa & Resort.
Day 3 - 6/17/2019 (Monday) – Pegmatites of the Pala group
8:30 morning departure from Pala Casino Spa & Resort.
- The entire day will focus on pegmatites within the world-renown Pala pegmatite group. The gem-producing pegmatites of the area are of the LCT-type. Visits will include the Stewart mine, famous for bright pink elbaite in massive lepidolite. The pegmatite has also produced masses of Li-Mn phosphates, spodumene and rare petalite. The Tourmaline King pegmatite is best known for bicolored (green & red) elbaite. The Oceanview/Pala Chief pegmatites, situated across the valley from the Stewart Mine, have recently produced exquisite gem-quality lilac-colored spodumene (kunzite) and elbaite.
- Peg 2019 End of Field Trips Barbeque - After the Pala visits we will be returning to the Oceanview mine for a Barbeque dinner (Catered by The Corner Butcher Shop, LaVerne, CA). A time to relax and enjoy some great barbeque.
After the Barbeque, return to Pala Casino Spa & Resort.
On June 18, 2019 (check-out) field trip participants will be delivered to the San Diego International Airport if necessary.